Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2 NIV)

This is a passage I struggle with to be honest.  Mostly, I'm always looking for a definitive line...how much is too much...when have I conformed too much.  So I struggle with this balance...and I can go to extremes...although I'm not very good at the deprivation kind...I'm also not great with the flip side either...and it's sorta funny but I tend to define this by consumerism.  Although I know entertainment, pop culture, movies, music and so forth are also part of it.  Natalie Grant left the Grammy Awards ceremony because it made her uncomfortable.  Mandisa didn't even attend.  I watched a small portion of the show but turned it off...not rejecting it I guess...just not entertained by it.  Should a person only listen to Christian music or read theological books...There are certainly groups that go to extremes and cut themselves off from the world...is that what God intended?  I don't think so....in fact, I think he expressly wants us in the world showing his love to those we touch.  So...it comes back to seeking...spending time and leaning into God...listening to his quiet voice.  Also...not conforming doesn't make us better than others...it doesn't make us superior...I am coming more and more to the conclusion that our most important actions are loving others as God loved us.  We are failing miserably at sharing the amazing love of our God with the world.  Maybe if I concentrated on actively showing God's love I wouldn't have to worry about where to draw the line.  God help me transform my mind so that I honor you by loving your creation.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment