Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Isaiah 60:19,20

The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory.  Your sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end.


This is such beautiful imagery and language.  What catches my attention is the very last statement…"your days of sorrow will end."  If you've been reading my blog lately, you know that I've been struggling and feeling really parched.  So that would be the first reason that promise jumps out at me.  But then as I read it again and again, I really find it's inclusion in this poetic passage about futures compelling.  I think about the times in the Bible (a few I can recall without aid) about eternity and God wiping away all our tears…so I read that to affirm there are going to be seasons of life that just aren't easy…and then I'm struck by wondering how the "prosperity gospel" folks work around this.  The other idea that grabs me is the contrast of God as being light -- with no darkness.  This is definitely a passage about hope…our hope that is to come.  Yes Lord, help me hold on during the dry seasons clinging and trusting in your promise of hope filled with light.

No comments:

Post a Comment