Thursday, November 14, 2013

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Always be joyful.  Never stop praying.  Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

Okay…just a couple of easy verses today.  Yeah right.  Always be joyful….be thankful in all circumstances.  Describes me to a T.  Bwah ha ha ha…I've also got swampland in Florida for sale.  So…the obvious confession for me is that it's much easier to be thankful when it's good circumstances. I've covered that pretty extensively this week.  So then I started wondering…what is the purpose of God always telling us to behave this way?  The easy answer is that it is a better way to demonstrate the gift of love and salvation we've received through Christ.  Easy answer…not easy action.  But I do wonder if there is more to it than that.  I don't have an answer.  And it seems that He has frequently encourages in that direction…which made me realize…if it's necessary to repeat it, people of the time and frankly the rest of us too just don't get it.  I hate that.  I like to get things right the first time…so clearly I do a lot of un-likeing of my behavior.  Then I also had a mom moment…How often to do I tell my kids to "knock it off - quit fighting - be kind to one another."  A lot.  Then I get silly and wonder if God would ever tell us…."I'm gonna pull this car over"  No…he just tells us…keep praying.  Be thankful, be joyful.  Life is better that way…maybe it is just that simple.

We are driving to Cincinnati today.  I'd love some additional prayers for a safe journey!  In fact….I'd be thankful!  Just add it to your always praying list.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment