Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hebrews 12:28

Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshipping him with holy fear and awe.

Mmm..what is holy fear and awe?  Seems very "Old Testament" terminology to me.  Something that seems so far removed from our "casual" world.  Jeans in church were a big no-no in my mom's world...and honestly I still don't wear jeans to church...  I can feel Mama Dee's reaction to the idea of actually having the pastor preach in jeans. There really isn't anything wrong with coming as we are...and it's probably a good thing to not have appearance be a barrier to the gospel...but do we take our casualness too far?  My mom once told me that if we dress up for work or going out..the least we can do is dress up for God.  And by this she meant show him respect by treating coming to church as something just as important as our other every day events.  I guess there always needs to be a balance...dress code shouldn't be there to exclude...but I wonder if sometimes we forget that it used to be much more difficult to come before our God...we are blessed that he has provided a much easier way...and that is definately something to be thankful for!!!

PS...Thanks for the prayers...we made it safely to Cincinnati!

No comments:

Post a Comment