Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hebrews Chapter 1

The Son radiates God’s own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven. (Hebrews 1:3 NLT)

There are several books of the Bible I have not read....and not that even one reading is sufficient. But I decided (with some prompting) that I would start the year with the book of Hebrews.  I pulled the verse above because I loved the imagery and language of the verse...the Son RADIATES God's own GLORY...expresses the very character....he cleansed us from our sins...place of honor...majestic God in heaven.   It just sings to me in it's language.  It really stood out in what was clearly the beginning of a letter to the Jewish people about the Son of God.  

Without having done any "pre-study" about what Hebrews is about the opening chapter addresses the issue of Jesus being God with God, but as a separate being and very much more than an angel.  I hadn't realized this had been one of the issues among the Jews at the time.  But I suppose it's not too surprising that among a people that may be tempted to miss the messianic nature of Christ to dismiss the stories as a visit from an angel and not God himself in the person of Jesus.

There is so much I don't know and understand...but God I desire to know more of you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment