Monday, January 20, 2014

Hebrews Chapter 12

Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord.

 Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe. For our God is a devouring fire. (Hebrews 12:14, 28, 29 NLT)

Much of Chapter 12 is quotable...some we may even know just from familiarity...Now run the race...

And there is much about the awesomeness of God...frankly the scary fierceness of Him that we don't like to focus on...the angry vengeful God that is set up as a strawman to attack for being cold and judgemental.  Frankly, it's amazing to me that God isn't angry all the time.  The single thing that helped me begin to get the tiniest bit of understanding of God's love is my love for my daughters.  It is the model of parental love that makes the reality and privilege of God's love for us the most special...I feel the ache (and really my girls are only just now entering the teen years) of a parent who wants the world for their child...can see the easy path...and watches as their child choses the rocky paty....as you hold your breath and want to wrap them in bubble wrap -- but need to let them get brusied and scraped up to grow.  And I know the ache when your child yells and rants at you or behaves poorly and you are so angry...yet love them so fiercely still....and it's that love that makes you ache.  The relationship with my girls has given me just the smallest glimpse of the Glory of God...how amazing...knowing that it is just shadows we see...the depth and breadth of love that we are wrapped in....how all consuming that love is.  How amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment