Monday, January 6, 2014

Hebrews Chapter 7

For the law never made anything perfect. But now we have confidence in a better hope, through which we draw near to God. 

but there was an oath regarding Jesus. For God said to him, “The Lord has taken an oath and will not break his vow: ‘You are a priest forever.’” Because of this oath, Jesus is the one who guarantees this better covenant with God. 

Therefore he is able, once and forever, to save those who come to God through him. He lives forever to intercede with God on their behalf. (Hebrews 7:19, 21, 22, 25 NLT)

As I read through Hebrews, the continuous theme that stands out to me...is Jesus's sacrifice for us so that we can be close to God.  

I think as I struggle with the idea of balancing grace and truth...it's a good start for me to focus on the truth that the law never made anything perfect...we can never follow the rules well enough to please God...we are not that pure because of sin...one speck of darkness is too much for God.  We are not perfect.

This afternoon, I was struck by a story Bess was telling me about a boy in her class...she was frustrated and disdainful of his behavoir...he was prown to crying when things didn't go his way or there were problems with an assignment...he was told to leave the class room today because he was frustrated with the assignment and having to do the work in a certain way...  My heart broke.  I am still deeply hurting for this young boy.  And while I didn't scold Bess, I was somewhat disappointed in her response.  I totally understand her frustration.  Her belief was that he was just spoiled by his parents and used to getting his own way.  And in her shoes, I probably would have felt the same way.  But as an adult, I see so much more...and so I explained to Bess that clearly this boy had problems far beyond what she could see or understand...that he probably didn't have many kids be kind to him...that for whatever reason he struggled....and that we needed to appreciate the gifts we have and to show grace and mercy and compassion...and even love.  I don't know how this always looks...because I fail regularly to remember that it is the ability to love that distinguishes us from the rest of humanity...and we never know what a small gesture that is kind can do to make all the difference for those around us.  Lord, let me see...let me show your mercy and grace...let me love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment